Monday, October 5, 2009

LEL 1: Grammar Skills for Writing 3: Subjects/Verbs/Pronouns

1. Interest level
The course is quite interesting. It explains how to use verbs efficiently and to avoid mistakes with some confusing pronouns and plural subjects, which can be very useful when writing.

2. Difficulty
The beginning of the course was extremely easy: I would have done it at the end of elementary school. However, the part about pronouns was more tricky. When we speak, we use the pronouns "they", "their" and "them" too often. For example, we ask "Would anyone lend me their pencil?", when the pronoun should in fact be singular. I learned English mostly by listening to English people speaking, so I wasn't familiar with the proper use of pronouns.

3. What I learned
As I mentionned in the previous point, I learned the proper use of plural and singular pronouns in sentences. I also learned to make the difference between lay and lie.

4. My score: 94/100

5. Course rating: 7.5/10
I think some parts of the course were relevant, but others were too easy and were just a repetition of what we learn at the end of elementary school or in secondary school. The parts that were relevant were nevertheless very useful to help me make the difference between proper English and spoken English.

1 comment:

  1. Some very good points. However, I was looking for more detail in section 3. 8/10

    ReplyDelete